Inclusivity | Community | Lifelong Learning | Discovery | Empowerment
It is the mission of the Chesapeake Public Library to build bridges to discovery by delivering a mix of materials, services, and experiences.
- Readers: Provide the tools and experts necessary to grown young readers and advance reading proficiency for all.
- Learners: Support learners at every level to succeed in their education and career paths.
- Partners: Serve as a community advocate through partnerships and information sharing.
- Neighbors: Provide the community with welcoming, safe, and dynamic physical and online spaces for engagement.
- Explorers: Satisfy and inspire curiosity through resources and events designed to generate moments of discovery.
- Improve access to books throughout Chesapeake, including reducing the number of homes without books.
- Increase functional literacy for all ages.
- Increase the percentage of students entering kindergarten who meet reading readiness benchmarks.
- Increase reading proficiency in grades 3 through 8.
- Increase subject matter experts among staff to help customers improve their education and career paths.
- Engage underserved communities in educational and career services.
- Reduce barriers to learning in all areas including technology, science, health, print, and digital literacy.
- Increase opportunities for volunteers to learn job skills and build resumés.
- Develop partnerships and foster information sharing among the community, City departments, City leaders, and local groups.
- Improve staff knowledge and confidence for providing referrals to community resources.
- Improve effectiveness, efficiency, and accessibility of physical space to support a culture of inclusivity.
- Increase staff presence throughout buildings, to foster awareness and safety.
- Build ease of use and satisfaction with the Library's online presence.
- Increase offerings of music, fine arts, and other culturally diverse events.
- Increase the number and diversity of programs held outside of business hours.
- Increase opportunities to connect with the Library and the community through creative and engaging experiences.